According to the report, which is compiled from 7.8 billion emails sent by Epsilon in April, May and June 2015, Business as Usual (BAU) open rates at 30.5% were in line with Q2 2014 open rates (30.8%). Click rates at 3.6% dropped slightly from 4.0% in Q2 2014. Triggered messages, which are sent based on a consumer action, continued to outperform their BAU counterparts in both open and click rates, reporting open rates 78.7% higher than BAU in Q2 2015 and click rates 233.4% higher. Q2 2015 triggered email trends are compiled from about 350 million triggered emails sent in April, May and June 2015.
“Delivering a dynamic, relevant and personalized experience to email subscribers has become an expectation,” shared Judy Loschen, Vice President of Digital Analytics at Epsilon. “Marketers must be equipped to deliver this experience to forge stronger connections with consumers. In doing so marketers can elevate the effectiveness of their email program and its place in the omnichannel customer journey.”
Other highlights from Business as Usual and Triggered Message trends include:
Business as Usual Email Trends
The quarterly BAU analysis is compiled from 7.8 billion emails sent by Epsilon in April, May and June 2015 across multiple industries and approximately 150 participating clients.
- Open rates remained steady 30.5% in Q2 2015 compared to 32.0% in Q1 2015
- Click rates also remained steady at 3.6% compared to 3.9% in Q1 2015
- Non-Bounce rates decreased slightly to 96% from 97.1% in Q1 2015
Triggered Message Email Trends
Triggered message benchmarks are compiled from approximately 350 million triggered emails sent by Epsilon in Q2 2015 across multiple industries. Results track campaigns deployed as a result of an action or trigger such as Welcome, Abandon Shopping Cart, Thank You and Anniversary.
- Triggered messages accounted for 4.3% of total email volume in Q2 2015, 14.1% higher than Q2 2014
- Open rates for triggered messages, at 54.5%, were slightly higher than Q1 2015 (52.8%)
- Triggered click rates increased to 12.1% from 9.7% in Q1 2015
For more information and industry-specific benchmarks, the Q2 2015 Email Trends and Benchmark report is available at: http://engage.epsilon.com/emailtrendsQ215